Thursday 14 February 2013

Wedding Vendor Review: Fasano's Catering

The Good

The food was excellent. I dont believe Ive ever heard so many good reviews of wedding food before. And not only that, but I did not get sick, which is amazing. Seriously -- gluten is in everything, and they made sure that I did not have any sort of cross contamination on the day of the event. The waitstaff was also quite professional and courteous, and so that was good too.

Also, their price was incredibly low, much lower than any other place we went with. And their food was good. Did I mention that already? They seemed delighted when we told them we wanted as much fresh and local and in-season food as possible.

The Bad

Well now, let me see. There was that time that I had to chase them for four weeks in a row, calling twice a week to get a quote for the new menu we needed to come up with because I found out halfway through the planning process that I needed to go gluten free.

Or there was the time where we made them promise to have an entirely gluten-free reception except for dessert, and they messed that up by bringing crackers and bread and switching out salad dressings on me, so I couldnt have anything marinated, or anything that touched the cheese and cracker plate.

Or there was also that time when we told them (from the beginning) they would have to serve the pies we had guests bring in addition to the cakes, and then on the day of the event they didnt cut the pies, so we ended up taking 20 pies home and serving our guests only cake.

And how about that time when they sent us the final invoice and expected a check a day and a half later, and refused to work at the wedding until they had 100% payment. That was fun. And they wouldnt take anything but a check not even a credit card number over the phone.

And who could forget when they promised us that rain or shine, theyd set up their grill outside to cook us food? And in actuality, they cooked the whole thing in the kitchen.

The Ugly

The worst part of all was when they kept lying to us. There are two instances. The first was when, after four weeks of me leaving messages all over the place to get a quote for the new menu, I made Seth call, and they told him that they had emailed me with a new quote the week before and then never heard back from me. How do I know they're lying? It's because I never gave them my email address. So thats a no.

The second time was on the day of the wedding. The day of my wedding! Seth had double checked with the head chef to make sure that they were going to cook me gluten-free food. And so the chef sent someone back to me to make sure I could eat Cain salad dressing, and the chef said I had pre-vetted it with him on one of our phone calls. Now, I knew very well that we had talked about a different Italian dressing, one that Id never heard of before. Cain? Nope, not it. And I hate it when people lie to me to try to cover their own butts especially on my wedding day.

The Verdict

I would consider going with Fasanos again only consider it, mind you -- if I made sure not to have anything nontraditional at the wedding at all. No switches, no substitutions, nothing beyond the typical wedding reception setup and format. And the only reason why I'm being lenient on them at the moment is because they made sure I didn't get sick on my wedding day. I have to be grateful for that.

Fasano's doesn't seem to handle changes very well (if at all), and are quite disorganized beforehand: Twice I know we left messages and they told us they didnt get them. We had two switch-ups where they told us one thing, then forgot what they told us and had to call us to check. Also, it wasn't over after the wedding: apparently Fasanos never paid the venue their kitchen fee (which we didnt know about beforehand). Yet another thing we had to remind them of.

That being said, they are good at traditional. They are nice people. They make excellent food. So? I leave it up to you.





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software